Note that since this post was written I’ve moved to Git and GitHub. However, I still use the same workflow.
One of the things I like best about using Mercurial patch queues is the way that you can continually refine the commit message before you send anything back to your repository. Since the message won’t actually appear in your revision history until you convert the patch to a proper commit, you can hone the message as you work. This becomes particularly powerful when combined with Google Code’s ability to update issues based on your commit messages, and greatly assists with issue-driven development.
Let’s use a real scenario to illustrate.
I wanted to improve the performance of toggling the XForms
case element, in
the XForms part of backplanejs. Given that I generally use an IDD approach,
the first thing I did was to create an issue (issue 45: “Improve performance of case toggling”).
Over in Mercurial I then created a new patch. I gave it the name ‘issue-45’ and asked Mercurial to let me edit the commit message:
hg qnew issue-45 -e
My assigned editor opened and I entered the following:
Improve performance of case toggling. Fixes issue 45.
I tend to keep the first line of these commit messages fairly short, because it
is used by Mercurial in various places, such as when you list your current
hg qseries. But after that you can put whatever you like.
The “Fixes issue 45.” part is the interesting bit. When Google Code sees this message it will close issue 45 and automatically provide a link to the changeset in the issue’s comments. This message will then be added to the changeset, and the reference to ‘issue 45’ will become a link to the issue. (You can also add comments without closing the issue, generate a new issue, add labels, and so on. See issue-tracker help for more information.)
None of these changes happen until we commit our code to the Google Code repository, which means we can work on our changes and the associated commit message until we’re happy.
As I worked on improving performance, it became clear that when we toggle the state of a form control from enabled to disabled, we should be a bit more efficient about how we manage changes to the CSS classes. The normal operation is to set the CSS to ‘enabled’ or ‘disabled’, but the code was first calling code to remove both values, before then writing back whichever value represented the current state of the control.
Since there were actually two improvements I could make I raised issues 46 and 47, with appropriate explanations. When I’d finished updating the code I did the usual ‘refresh’ to put the code in the patch, but I also told Mercurial that I wanted to update the commit message:
hg qrefresh -e
My editor opened and I was able to change the message to this:
Improve performance of case toggling. Fixes issue 45. Fixes issue 46. Fixes issue 47.
After making the required changes, all that remained was to convert my patch into a proper commit in my repository:
hg qfinish -a
Of course Google Code still hasn’t seen these messages, and that requires a ‘push’:
This final action automatically closes all three issues for me, and adds cross-referencing messages to both the changeset and the issues.
You can see the result by looking at issue 45 or revision d6ea4e794d. When used with the diff feature when looking at a changeset, this gives a detailed record of the changes that were made, and why – ideal for IDD.